Sunday, March 15, 2009

Time Travel Diary: March 15, 1952

Dear Diary:

It's spring in Memphis and this morning I saw my first robin. He was sitting on the branch of that giant sycamore in the front yard. But let me tell you, birds were not uppermost in my thoughts today. It was my first day at my new high school. Why oh why did Mama and Daddy and yank Charlie and me from our schools in Murfreesboro and move the family lock, stock and barrel, to Memphis of all places? Especially in the spring of my junior year! I could just DIE!

Despite my heartbreak and anguish, I think it was a blessing in disguise. The cutest boy I ever laid eyes on sits right in front of me in English class. Elvis Presley! Now I ask you, what kind of name is Elvis? His hair is black and his eyes are bluer than the summer sky. After class I "accidentally" bumped into him and dropped my books. He was so sweet. He picked them up for me and said he was sorry. I told him that was okay. I think he likes me. I wonder if he has a date for the prom?

I think this new school is going to work out just fine.

2 comments:

Danny Dunne said...

Luana: I loved this. Time Travel Diary--what a great idea.

LOL: "I wonder if he has a date for the prom?"

Hope you do more of these.

Danny

Luana Krause said...

Thanks, Danny. I love history and always wonder what it would be like to have met famous people from the past. I was inspired by the show "Quantum Leap"...time travel has always fascinated me. I plan to continue these diary entries. Lots of fun.