Wednesday, February 23, 2011

About Face


Last summer our church hosted a Vacation Bible School for kids ages 6 through 12. For five whole days we sang songs, learned about the Bible, and enjoyed snacks, games and crafts. On the last night we had a Family Night ice cream party with balloon animals, all flavors of ice cream with toppings, games, music and...FACE PAINTING!

I was in charge of face painting and I had no idea what I was getting into. I brought a few washable markers and made a chart with pictures of an ice cream cone, a dog, a flower, etc. I thought I'd just draw a cute little design on their faces or hands. Didn't happen.

They wanted the whole enchilada, the whole ball of wax, the whole nine yards, the whole megillah (FYI, in Judaism, the megillah is the scroll that contains the biblical narrative of the Book of Esther, but I digress.) In a nutshell they wanted a full face design -- butterflies, robots, fairies, dinosaurs, Darth Vader! Me and my little markers were working like crazy. And the kids loved it. Every kid at the party got his/her face painted. I warned the parents to wipe it off before the kids went to bed unless they wanted marker stains all over their pillows.

So I've decided to make it official. I bought some face painting supplies and an instruction book. I am going to be a Face Painter.

Livin' the dream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted

Anonymous said...

What paints do you use and where do you get them? Yours look great; very precise with sharp edging. Many I've seen are blotchy and smudged looking.