Monday, February 07, 2011

Black Swan and The Roommate


Two mini movie reviews:

The Black Swan. Oscar material? Give me a break. Totally over-rated. Acting was mediocre. Script terrible. Story uninspiring. HOWEVER: the cinematography was outstanding. Note to Director: the mirror motif was overkill (no pun intended). The whole point of a visual motif is subtlety...it nibbles at your subconscious and goes almost unnoticed...and then when you discover it...WOW! In this movie the director is saying: Hey! Look at all the mirrors! It's a METAPHOR!

And if I didn't get enough female psycho drama, I watched The Roommate. Predictable and boring. I will tell you right now that I'm not the kind of person that gets bored. I love watching films and I usually find something good about a movie no matter how bad it is. But this was hopeless. When you have to resort to killing a kitten in a dryer to spice things up, something is wrong.

The good thing about all this is that I have great hopes for my own screenplay. If this is what Hollywood is churning out, my smart, inspiring comedy should have agents drooling on their lobster bibs.

No comments: