Saturday, July 18, 2009

That Girl!

Just received Season Five of "That Girl" from amazon. I now have the complete set. Huzzah!

I was nine years old when "That Girl" made it's debut on TV in 1966. The show ran for five seasons (from 1966 to 1970). I was 13 when the final show aired. Ann Marie became my idol. She was beautiful, funny, friendly, an actress...everything I wanted to be as pre-teen girl. I wore my hair in a flip just like her and fantasized about living in New York as an actress and having a cute boyfriend like Donald Hollinger. And of course, wearing those fantastic designer clothes! HOLY COW! Of course, at the time I didn't understand that a starving actress in New York wouldn't have the money to buy those cute outfits. Kind of sounds like "Sex in the City." Carrie Bradshaw spends hundreds of dollars on shoes and designer clothes on a column-writer's salary? Yeah, right.

The "That Girl" theme song didn't have lyrics until season five:

Diamonds, Daisies, Snowflakes, That Girl!
Chestnuts, Rainbows, Springtime... Is That Girl
She's tinsel on a tree...
She's everything that every girl should be!

Sable, Popcorn, White Wine, That Girl!
Gingham, Bluebirds, Broadway... Is That Girl
She's mine alone, but luckily for you...
If you find a girl to love,
Only one girl to love,
Then she'll be That Girl too... That Girl!


Of course, the lyrics are corny, but who cares? It was a catchy tune. My favorite is season one...the episode when Ann met Donald (Captain Dumb Dumb). In the pilot, Ted Bessell played Ann's agent. Thank goodness they changed his part to the boyfriend instead.

This show is "Terrific!"

No comments: