Friday, September 18, 2009

The Walk

So yesterday afternoon, hubby and I went for a walk. It's mid-September and the weather is fabulous! We had been playing the Beatles Rock Band game earlier and were singing songs as we walked through the neighborhood. "I am the walrus...goo goo ga joob..." People must have thought that we were nuts. Whatever.

Sometimes when we walk we don't talk much because we are just enjoying the walk or thinking our own private thoughts. Other times we talk a lot. On this walk, I wanted to talk and hubby wanted to sing. Here's a snippet of our conversation:

ME and HUBBY (singing): "I am the walrus, I am the walrus, goo goo ga joob, goo goo ga joob..."

ME: So what about all the brouhaha about President Obama talking to the kids in school? I think it's wonderful. I don't understand what the big deal is. George Bush talked to kids and nobody said a word about it. I would think people would want the president talk to the kids.

HUBBY: You should run for president.

ME: Are you crazy? I would never want to be the president. For one thing, they have to give speeches and I'm terrible at giving speeches. They give speeches all the time. Every day, almost. I don't know how they find the time. But I guess that's why they have speech writers. Have you ever wondered why the speech writers don't get credit for the speeches? The president gets all the credit. The presidential speech writers throughout history are getting ripped off! Remember when JFK said "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"? The speech writer came up with that historic, profound statement, but Kennedy gets all the credit. That happens all the time with speech writers. It's just not fair. Are you listening to a word I'm saying?

HUBBY (singing): Lucy in the sky with diamonds...

No comments: