Saturday, January 22, 2011

No More Ugly Shoes!


I don't know if it's because it's a new year and time for a change or because I'm sick and tired of mediocrity, but I have made a decision. No more ugly shoes!

I used to think that women who wore heels were crazy. Who could stand the sore feet and back pain? But then I realized when you buy higher quality shoes, you don't have that problem. For years I bought cheap shoes based on comfort (boring loafers, spinster/librarian clodhoppers, or ugly sneakers). Of course I had the token high heels for special events but they hurt my feet because 1) they were cheap and 2) I wasn't used to wearing a shoe that had a heel higher than two inches.

Over the last year, I've reassessed my wardrobe and realized that wearing pretty shoes is one of the best things you can do to build self confidence and improve your outlook on life.

You think I'm kidding? Try it and see. You'll discover that wearing pretty shoes not only improves your mood, but also sends a positive vibe to others you encounter. Why didn't anyone tell me this before? Maybe they did but I didn't believe it.

Now I really enjoy shoe shopping. No, I'm not one of those crazy people with hundreds of shoes (did someone say Carrie Bradshaw?)  I've learned to be a wise shopper. Instead of buying cheap shoes that wear out in a few months, I spend a little more for high quality shoes that last.. The two requirements I have when I buy shoes are 1) they must be pretty and 2) they must be comfortable. Yes, it's possible to have both. Since I've been doing this, I have never had a blisters on my feet. Cheap shoes cause blisters.

I;m also learning to appreciate the talents and skills of shoe designers. Until now, I'd never paid much attention to shoe design. I'm amazed at the beauty and craftsmanship of a gorgeous pair of shoes. It's made me appreciate other beautiful things in life that I encounter every day. My eyes are open to the beauty all around me. Going to a shoe store is like walking into an art gallery. It takes my breath away.

Okay, maybe I'm going a little overboard with the metaphors. I'm not trying to convert others to my way of thinking. I'm just sharing what I've experienced. It all boils down to this: No more ugly shoes. That's my new motto.

2 comments:

Michelle Mach said...

I don't think it would be possible to be in a bad mood when wearing red shoes. I've been looking for some for awhile, but haven't found the right pair yet. I owned a pair of silver flats in high school and I'd love to find another pair like that!

Luana Krause said...

Hi, Michelle: I'm really into flats. Right now I'm looking for some pointy toe ones.

Keep looking; I'm sure you'll find your silver flats.

My favorites are my red patent leather ones and my black matte ballet flats.