Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Julie, Julia and Me

Hubby and I went to see "Julie and Julia" to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary. For the record, while hubby (like most guys) enjoys action movies, he is a romantic at heart. So if you think he suffered through this movie for my benefit, you are mistaken. We laughed, we cried, we bought the T-shirt.

Afterwards, the plan was to go to our favorite Mexican restaurant. They serve complimentary chips and salsa...to DIE for. I usually get the taco plate with tacos, refried beans, rice and guacamole salad...hubby likes the beef sopapilla. And of course, their margaritas are the best in town.

However, when we arrived at the restaurant, the line was a mile long. We had forgotten that it was Tuesday...that's when the margaritas are two for the price of one. So we decided to go to another of our favorite eateries, Poor Richards. I had the Wild Mushroom with Tenderloin tips and hubby had the Prime Rib. The meal was delicious.

Hubby takes his food very seriously. He will not return to a restaurant that has bad service or bad food. I take things in stride and allow that the server or the chef may have just had an off day. My policy is to give people another chance.

We are opposites in our menu choices as well. I like to try new dishes every time, but hubby sticks with the same thing. I know exactly what he will order when we go out to eat. At Poor Richards he always gets the prime rib, medium rare. At Olive Garden it's the soup (Zuppa Tuscana) and salad. At Casa it's the Beef Sopapilla. At Twin Dragon it's Pepper Steak.

I can occasionally twist his arm to try new restaurants, but if he doesn't like it, he won't go back no matter what. My mission is get him to try "2 Doors Down"...a quaint spot downtown with a fun atmosphere. I ate there a few weeks ago with my friend Zoe and it was fabulous!

No comments: