Thursday, April 14, 2011

Love Story



A to Z Blogging Challenge: Movie Memories
Blogging about the movies that made an impact on my life

I think this movie impacted my life more than any other. I was 13 when I saw Love Story (1970) and had no idea what I was getting into.
The first thing that struck me was the music. My parents were country/western fans and I listened to pop/rock on the radio. I had never really heard classical music before unless you count Bugs Bunny or Tom & Jerry cartoons that played Mozart or Tchaikovsky during chase scenes. So not only was the Love Story theme song impressive, but I also heard Bach for the first time. I realized that there was this realm of classical music that I never knew existed. I became a lifelong fan because of this movie.

"Jennifer" was everything I wanted to be. Beautiful, smart, funny -- and she played the piano (my dream since fifth grade was to learn piano). The movie was set in the world of the Ivy League, which was totally alien to me as an 8th grader in New Mexico. Thus Love Story instilled in me the desire to go to college. At age 13, I had a romanticized view of college life, but that dream stayed with me through junior high and high school. And despite getting married at 19 and having two children, I finished my Master's at age 26. I am still a life-long learner.
I was literally sobbing at the end of the movie. My friend let me borrow her Love Story sound track album and I would sit in my room listening to the music and crying my eyes out. Good times.

When I saw the movie as an adult, I realized it was totally sappy and corny. But as a young girl with absolutely no life experience other than school, friends and family and who spent most of my time daydreaming, I found Love Story to be the best movie ever. It touched my spirit in a way that I can't really explain. 

When our daughter was born, we named her Jennifer.

16 comments:

Huntress said...

Holy Twins, Batman!
You are singing my song, Sistah. I had the same reaction, but um, I was 16. I bought the music score for the piano, the record album and watched the movie multiple times as a teen.

As an adult, the acting grates on me a little now. But at the end of the movie, when the music hits a crescendo, and Ryan O'Neal's head bows...omgosh.
*okay, now I've got to watch it again*
Thankx for your blog. Excellent as usual.

Rae said...

We must be the same age! I graduated HS in '74...
And, yes- that was one of my favorites movies and soundtracks back then. I think as a young teen, I was emotionally drawn to the heartbreak and true love... And thought I might be a college preppy someday, too. (Not a chance in Hell, tho!)lol
And, oh, the music- I would love to hear it again- without having to watch the movie. You are right...pretty sappy! And Ali can't act worth a darn!

Joe Richardson said...

This is a lovely post.

I'm reluctant to go back and view movies that were important to me for the very reason you named--I'm afraid I'll find them lacking.

Ditto that for books.

That said, it has been a while since I've seen M*A*S*H. I wonder...

Best,
Joe
l: Your Library: A Tale Not Told in Books

Luana Krause said...

Huntress: Howdy, Sistah! Glad to know I'm not alone. My friend who saw it with me at the time didn't think much about it...but it blew me away. Go figure.

Luana Krause said...

Hi, Rae: I graduated in 1975. You know what I'm talkin' about...LOL. A few years ago I bought the CD soundtrack. I was in a nostalgic mood and wanted to hear it all again. It's still beautiful, but I don't have the same reaction I had back then.

Luana Krause said...

Joe: I found it interesting choosing movies for this challenge. I was tempted to include my "all time faves" but I wanted to make it personal. The movies that impacted me weren't always great films. I've decided after this challenge I'm going to have Movie Monday and talk about my faves.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

>>> . . . When I saw the movie as an adult, I realized it was totally sappy and corny.

Oh, I'm so glad you wrote that.
I was afraid I might have to give up on ya!

We're all allowed a few "Guilty Pleasures". One of mine is "The Sprit Of '76" - makes me reminisce about my high school daze: Afros; EST; Grand Funk Railroad; and Pintos that go *KA-BOOM!*
:o)

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'

Susan Kane said...

I remember that movie so well. I was a junior in college, engaged to be married, and I sobbed at the end. My fiance bravely watched the movie, and let me mourn Jennifer's death.
Yes, it was sappy, but it was that time period. Thanks for your posts.

Luana Krause said...

Stephen: Yes, it's a sappy movie, but has a special place in my heart. Thanks for stopping by.

Luana Krause said...

Susan: It's a real tear jerker. Not now, but back then...pass the tissues!

baygirl32 said...

a classic sappy movie. good choice

Luana Krause said...

Hi, baygirl: One of the sappiest! LOL

anthony stemke said...

I wondered where you were going with this until the end. I went on a first date to it. It was sappy sweet and corny yes, but still enjoyable; and yes the music was great. It was a long time ago, I remember Ray Milland was in it.

Love this blog, it is very interesting. Thank You.

Craig Edwards said...

I was taken to see this by my mom when I was three - I do have vague flashes of the movie in my head still. Other than those I knew nothing about what happened in the movie - lots of talking heads as far as I could tell - but the music was haunting. I do remember that. We later had a music box that played the theme - one weird fact - it looked just like a 7-Up can! The wind-up was tucked away on the bottom of the can. (?) I wouldn't mind sitting down with this now - sure it's sappy - but from good sap comes syrup - and where would our pancakes be without syrup? Or something like that. Excellent post! Thanks for sharing it!

Luana Krause said...

Anthony: I love sappy movies sometimes and this is as sappy as they come. LOL

Luana Krause said...

Craig: I can't imagine a three year old sitting through this. You must have been well-behaved at the movies for you mother to take you. Love Story is another example of the perfect score/movie match.